Saturday, January 23, 2010

Bee Candy

I made bee candy last night I use a 4 parts sugar to 1 part water with 1 tsp apple cider vinegar. The secret to making the candy is boiling the mixture with the lid on and cooling it to around 200 degrees. I only had one hive that needed that needed the candy at this point. The hive is by far the weakest hive. I hope they make it.

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Contruction Continues

The weather has warmed up enough to work in the garage again. I was able to complete 4 more deep hive bodies today. I also placed an order for 66 frames this weekend. 66 is a really strange number. There is a method to my madness though. 66 frames is the exact number at which the shipping cost per frame is the lowest. The cost of shipping goes up the when you order more or less than 66. I end up saving a quarter per frame when I order 66 rather than 100 frames.

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Snow Covered Hives

It's been snowing off and on for the past few weeks.  It's finally let up enough to go out and check the hives.  I brushed off the snow and gave my hives a listen.  100% of the hives are still buzzing at this point. 

Friday, January 8, 2010

Making Progress in Winter

I continue to work on making bee hives for the spring.  I made life a little easier on myself this week.  I visited the local metal shop.  They were able to cut me galvanized tin for my outer covers.  The cost ended up less than $5.00 a top!!!